Women building better communities. That’s the Junior League.
The Junior League of Greensboro has been the driving force behind initiatives and institutions that have made our community a healthier, more vital place to live. Junior League members, reflecting a wide range of backgrounds, interests, and professional pursuits work together to identify unmet needs, forge effective coalitions, and work for change. Time and time again, the Junior League is among the first organizations to step up to the plate and tackle our community’s biggest challenges.
The Junior League of Greensboro, North Carolina, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
The Junior League of Greensboro is composed of more than 1,000 members including:
- Our Provisional Members – New members who are trained in leadership development, community awareness, and volunteer service.
- Our Active Members – Members who volunteer in community projects and fundraising activities and participate in our League’s training, educational programs,and administration.
- And close to 665 Sustaining Members – Former Active members who have been trained to participate individually in community programs.
To meet our goal of Women Building Better Communities, we have committed $63,688 and 91-120 volunteers to the following programs at Cone Elementary:
- Cone Elementary Assembles in the amount of $2,000 and 2-4 volunteers to help provide 4 school-wide enrichment assemblies throughout the year
- BackPack Beginnings in the amount of $8,000 and 6-8 volunteers to help provide healthy meals for needy children
- Black Child Development in the amount of $5,500 to help fund 4 Americorp members to provide classroom support and one-on-one assistance
- Community Impact Fund (to assist with one-time emergency needs within the community) in the amount of $1,855
- Girl CHARGE in the amount of $1,360 and 6-10 volunteers to foster change in culture of girls in our area
- Green Hill Center for NC Art Traveling Trunk for $2,300 and 4-6 volunteers to visit Cone Elementary classrooms and make an interactive, culturally-diverse presentation
- Junior Achievement in the amount of $4,500 and 8-10 volunteers to foster ethics, economics, and business education and to encourage youth to stay in school for success as adults
- Kids in the Kitchen in the amount of $1,000 and 6-10 volunteers to promote child health and inspire children to make healthy lifestyle choices
- Media Center Initiative in the amount of $8,857 and 12-15 volunteers to revitalize the Cone Elementary library with books and construction projects
- “Oh, The Places You’ll Go” initiative in the amount of $2,020 and 4-6 volunteers to plan and implement a Dr. Seuss Day for K-2nd grades and Career Day for 3rd-5th grades
- Out of the Garden in the amount of $8,100 and 8-10 volunteers to provide bags of food for students and families on weekends
- PTA Initiative in the amount of $4,000 and 15-20 volunteers to assist in developing the PTA at Cone Elementary
- Raising a Reader! in the amount of $10,196 and 4-6 volunteers to help families develop, practice and sustain home literacy routines
- Research & Development in the amount of $550 and 2-4 volunteers to help research, write grants and develop community collaboration with Cone Elementary
- SMOD Swap Shop in the amount of $600 and 6-8 volunteers to set up a Standard Mode of Dress Swap Shop
- Supplies in the amount of $2,500 and 6-8 volunteers to generate a wish list of supplies for Cone Elementary and obtain them through donations and drives
- Technology in the amount of $350 and 4 volunteers to write grants and seek community partners to provide the Cone Elementary student body with personal learning devices