Store History

Regardless of where it is located, the Bargain Box has proved itself a successful fixture in downtown Greensboro.

  • In 1935, the Junior League Gift and Antique Shop became known as the Junior League Thrift Shop.
  • In 1947, the Thrift Shop became a League mainstay and changed its name again — this time for good — and celebrated the grand opening of the Bargain Box on Summit Avenue.
  • In 1949, the Bargain Box moved again and would later move only six times until 2016. — 145 Bishop Street, 117 South Davie Street, 218 South Greene Street, 908 North Eugene Street, 113 South Elm Street, and finally, 122 North Elm Street.
  • In 2016, we settled into our new location at 1410 Mill Street.

The Bargain Box is the League’s only ongoing fundraiser and sells previously owned merchandise donated by League members and the community.